Well, now as I have subscribed and watched content on both platforms, we can discuss which one is better. If you are a new OTT user and would want to subscribe to one of these, this blog post is for you. This post will help you decide where you can watch movies and TV Shows effortlessly at your convenience.
1) User Profiles
User profiles are a set of profiles which you can create to separate your viewing from that of your sister or family or friend. User profile for a particular individual lets us keep our recommendations and watchlists different from others.
- Convenient to select the user profiles as they appear the first on your screen.
- In Profile images there is a lot of variety. You can select your favourite characters, cartoons and colours.
- User profiles are not explicitly visible. To select a different one, you will have to make an effort to go to the top right corner.
- Only four types of profile images available.
2) Maturity Rating
As the platforms have content for all age groups, assigning a maturity rating and restrictions to a particular user profile is essential.
- Netflix follows 7+, 13+, 16+, 18+ maturity ratings.
- If a user profile is assigned a maturity rating, let’s say 16+, then that profile will have all the movies and TV shows equal or under 16+ maturity rating.
- Prime assigns maturity ratings to content based on the ratings prevalent in the specific country. For example, in India it displays U, U/A, A ratings. In US, it is G, PG, PG-13, R.
- If a user profile is assigned a maturity rating, the titles above that maturity rating will have a password encryption.
3) Video Options
This heading will analyze the various options both platforms provide while streaming the content.
- 10 seconds backward/forward
- Playback speed (0.5x, 0.75x. 1x(normal), 1.25x, 1.5x)
- Next episode
- List of all episodes
- 10 seconds backward/ forward
- Video quality
- Name of actors(in the current scene)
- Some fun facts about the current scene
- Next episode
4) Search option
- The search option shows more relevant and newer titles.
- Provides recommendation on similar search topics at top.
- The search option doesn’t show many relevant titles. Here it is showing majority of ‘Vampire Diaries’ titles which is irrelevant.
- Provides recommendation on similar search topics while searching.
- ‘My List’ collects all the titles that you want to watch later.
- No segregation based on Movies or TV shows.
- Segregation based on Movies and TV shows.
6) Critic ratings
- Provides personalized ratings based on previously watched titles.
- Doesn’t show critic ratings.
- It shows an IMDb rating of the title.
- No personalized recommended ratings.
7) Content banners
The platforms categorize the content into latest, best and many more banners. This is done to provide better recommendations.
- At your home page it shows the top 10 titles in your country.
- Recommendation banners include: Trending now, Bingeworthy TV thrillers, Watch in one weekend, Gems for you.
- It displays its top titles in the top banner.
- Recommendation banners include: Latest movies, Top movies, Best of world cinema.
As you may have heard ‘content is the king’, it is important for these platforms to bring fresh and intriguing content.
- It has new content coming every week.
- Large pool of content to select from.
- Lesser new movies coming per week.
- Good at fetching regional content.
Depending on what you prefer, now you can select an apt video streaming service. I like both the platforms for different reasons. If you have used any of these platforms, what are the things that you like/dislike about them? Do let me know in the comment section below.